- Multiple Local Black-Owned Restaurants Return for a Second Season
Expanding on last season’s efforts to provide opportunity to Detroit-based Black-owned restaurants at both Comerica Park and Little Caesars Arena, Comerica Park will welcome back four local restauranteurs for the 2023-24 Detroit Tigers season, in addition to several new ones.
Yum Village, Bert’s Marketplace, Breadless and The Lobster Food Truck all debuted during either last year’s Tigers or Red Wings seasons. The initiative, aimed at increasing economic inclusion for Detroiters, proved popular not only with fans, but also with the restaurant owners themselves.
“Being in the ballpark is such a great experience and we’ve had so much support from people,” said Jae Dearing, CEO of Bert’s Marketplace, located in Eastern Market. “Folks know and trust the name Bert’s for value and quality, so it just fits that they can relax and enjoy our food while they’re watching America’s favorite pastime.”
Menu items from Bert’s Marketplace will be available throughout the entire season at the Brushfire Grill, while the other businesses will rotate throughout the season.
The Tigers, in partnership with Delaware North, which operates concessions at Comerica Park and Little Caesars Arena, will welcome several other small businesses from the city of Detroit including Green Dot Stables and Taqueria El Rey. Green Dot Stables menu items will be available in the Meijer Market outside Section 143, and Taqueria El Rey’s Mexican fare will be available for purchase in the Miller Lite Market near Section 149.
Below is a list of the confirmed restaurants, their locations in the ballpark, and their menu offerings:
Bert’s Marketplace: Inside the Brushfire Grill
- Spicy Red Hot – Spicy sausage topped with onions and served on a fresh bun
- Barbecue Nachos – Tortilla chips topped with nacho cheese, barbecue sauce, chives, sour cream and choice of chicken or pulled pork
- Ribs – half-slab of Bert’s Famous Ribs served with coleslaw and mac-and-cheese
Breadless: Rotates throughout the season at Section 116
- Buckwild – Roasted chicken, pork bacon, truffle buttermilk ranch, Buffalo hot sauce, white cheddar cheese, tomatoes, cucumbers, sweet pickles and arugula wrapped in Swiss chard
- Spicy Chick(pea) – Warm, smashed falafel, spicy vegan aioli, pickled turnips, Arabic pickles, tomatoes and onions wrapped in turnip green and collard greens
The Lobster Food Truck: Rotates throughout the season at Section 116
- Seafood Mac & Cheese – Macaroni and cheese complete with both crab and shrimp
Yum Village: Rotates throughout the season at Section 116
- Naan Jerk Chicken Tacos – Jerk chicken; marinated in Lemon Pepper Jerk and finished on a wood-smoke grill; topped with pickled cabbage and served on fresh naan bread
Green Dot Stables: Section 143 (Meijer Market)
- Cheeseburger Slider – All-beef patty topped with American cheese, locally-based Topor’s Pickles and grilled onions
- Bacon Cheeseburger Slider – All-beef patty topped with American cheese, bacon, locally-based Topor’s Pickles and grilled onions
- Hot Brown Slider – Grilled chicken breast topped with bacon and Mornay sauce
- Buffalo Chicken Slider – Grilled chicken breast topped with Buffalo hot sauce, blue cheese spread and celery shavings
- Regular Fry – Shoestring French fries finished with kosher salt
- Truffle and Herb Fry – Shoestring French fries topped with cheese curds and gravy
- Kale Salad – Kale, tricolored quinoa, shallots and lemon vinaigrette dressing
Taqueria El Rey: Section 149
- Tacos – Corn tortilla filled with of steak, chorizo or bean and topped with onions, cilantro with jalapeño salsa
- Sonoran Hot Dog – Bacon-wrapped hot dog topped with beans, Pico de Gallo, cotija cheese and jalapeño salsa
- Charcoal Grilled Chicken – Charcoal-grilled half-chicken with adobo rub and red salsa on the side