As Miguel Cabrera’s legendary and lengthy Major League career comes to an end, the Detroit Tigers are welcoming one of Miggy’s favorite local restaurants to Columbia Street in the heart of The District Detroit.
The Tigers, Pepsi and El Rey de las Arepas will host a pop-up experience at 44 W. Columbia Street on select days throughout September and prior to the Detroit Tigers’ regular season finale on Sunday, Oct. 1.
“As we continue to celebrate the legendary career of Miguel Cabrera, we are thrilled to partner with El Rey de las Arepas to unveil this unique experience on Columbia Street,” said Ryan Gustafson, Executive Vice President & Chief Operating Officer for Ilitch Sports + Entertainment. “Miguel’s impact has meant so much to our city, and we look forward to introducing Tigers fans to one of the places he’s come to love during his time in Detroit.”
The El Rey de las Arepas pop-up will be open to the public on the following dates and times:
- Tuesday, September 12, 3:30 – 7 p.m. (Tigers vs. Cincinnati Reds, 6:40 p.m.)
- Wednesday, September 13, 3:30 – 7 p.m. (Tigers vs. Cincinnati Reds, 6:40 p.m.)
- Thursday, September 14, 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. (Tigers vs. Cincinnati Reds, 1:10 p.m.)
- Saturday, September 16, 3:30 – 7 p.m.
- Sunday, September 17, 10 a.m. – 1 p.m. (Detroit Lions vs. Seattle Seahawks, 1 p.m.)
- Saturday, September 23, 3:30 – 7 p.m.
- Sunday, September 24, 10 a.m. – 1 p.m. (Detroit Lions vs. Atlanta Falcons, 1 p.m.)
- Tuesday, September 26, 3:30 – 7 p.m. (Tigers vs. Kansas City Royals, 6:40 p.m.; Red Wings vs. Pittsburgh Penguins [preseason], 7 p.m.)
- Wednesday, September 27, 3:30 – 7 p.m. (Tigers vs. Kansas City Royals, 6:40 p.m.)
- Thursday, September 28, 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. (Tigers vs. Kansas City Royals, 1:10 p.m.; Red Wings vs. Washington Capitals [preseason], 7 p.m.)
- Friday, September 29: 3:30 – 7 p.m. (Tigers vs. Cleveland Guardians, 6:40 p.m.)
- Saturday, September 30, 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. (Tigers vs. Cleveland Guardians, 1:10 p.m.)
- Sunday, October 1, 11:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. (Tigers vs. Cleveland Guardians, 3:10 p.m.)
When guests enter the space, they will be greeted with Cabrera-themed décor and a summary of his Hall-of-Fame worthy career accomplishments. Festive music will be played, and outdoor seating will be available.
For $15, guests will receive a sampler ticket, which they can redeem for a “Miggy Sampler” that includes a mini arepa (corn pancake filled with shredded beef and cheese), a mini cachapa (sweet corn pancake filled with cheese), three plantains fried to perfection, and an 8-oz. “passion fruit” juice. Cash or credit will be accepted and a portion of each purchase will be donated to the Miguel Cabrera Foundation.
Delicious food offerings from El Rey las Arepas will also be available inside Comerica Park, near section 116, throughout “Miggy Celebration Weekend,” presented by Bally Sports Plus, from Sept. 29 – Oct. 1.
The District Detroit is a premier urban live, work, play destination featuring professional sports, entertainment, residential, retail, and office space in Detroit. Columbia Street is The District Detroit’s pedestrian-friendly street located between the historic Fox Theatre and the Little Caesars World Headquarters, and across Woodward Avenue from Comerica Park. The street is also home to Frita Batidos, JoJo’s ShakeBAR, Sahara Restaurant and Grill, Union Assembly, Mom’s Spaghetti and Good Cakes and Bakes.